Quail Hollow Farm Full-Diet, full year CSA Share!
We are so excited to be offering a full-diet to several families who are committed to our farm for a full year, and willing to pick up here at the farm each week. We always marvel at how much of our own diet comes from our own organic farm and what we source within our area. So few Americans can even consider eating like this!! We are thrilled at the thought that we can offer this wholesome diet to several families in addition to our own! When considering the cost, consider the quality and variety that is offered, many items are not even available to the general public. These foods were once the normal fare for our ancestors, home grown, locally sourced, no industrialized additives such as pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, fillers, etc. Just natural, wholesomeness, the way our food should be!
What will the full-diet include? (Except for scarce or limited items, everything offered each week will be all you can reasonably eat for the week. Free choice:)
• Pasture based, hormone-free meats including: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, rabbit, Thanksgiving turkey and a Christmas goose:). Each week there will be specified cuts that you can choose from of the selected meats for the week. We will raise most of the meats selected but will also include some meats from local ranchers who share our commitment to quality. Picking up at the farm each week will allow you to enjoy the different meats without having to have an extra freezer! We eat nose to tail so there will be nutrient dense organ meats available as well as pure tallow and lard! (Did you know that heart disease was virtually non-existent before the introduction of “shortening” and other industrial-made trans-fats?)
• Dairy and eggs: Raw Jersey cow and goat’s milk, cream, yogurt, butter and some cheese! There will be plenty of milk available to try your hand at cheese making too, if you like:) Farm fresh, free range eggs in abundance throughout most of the year:)
• Organic vegetables/fruits/herbs/and flowers: There will always be a nice selection of fresh seasonal produce to choose from in the quantity that you consume. Free choice! Take enough for the week or take extra to preserve, can, freeze or dry to enjoy throughout the year. We will keep in storage such crops as onions, apples, pomegranates, winter squash, root crops, etc. to enjoy throughout the winter months. Most crops will be harvested and waiting for you. Some crops you may want to come and harvest extra for preservation. Feel free to come early and help bring the harvest in:)
• Organic grains and dry legumes: We will provide whole grain wheat and flour, dry corn and cornmeal (GMO-free), oats, dry beans and more. What we can't grow to begin with we will source from our most local resources. Most of our dry crops tend to be wonderful ancient, heirloom varieties.
• Other goodies as available: Raw honey, sorghum molasses, dry herbal teas, medicinal herbs, handmade soap and more! (This is our first year growing and making sorghum molasses. We are super excited to offer this old-fashioned sweetener! We have located an old, like Pioneer old, horse-drawn cane mill in good repair here in our valley. Monte is super excited to get this old machine operating again. We will let you know when we do so you can come enjoy the fun :)
Pick up days will be each Tuesday from 9 to 11 am. Come when you can during that time and enjoy the "community" of families in our Full-Diet CSA. The benefit for you to pick up at the farm is that you and your family can truly get to know us, your farmers, and our farm practices.
As you participate each week you can help feed and tend to the animals, get involved in farm projects, associate with other individuals and families of like mind, share ideas, recipes and experiences, and just enjoy a bit of “slow down” time in the country side.
During your pick-up times we will often have fun projects and/or mini-classes on cooking with whole foods and food preservation, holiday crafts and much more! If you can't make it each week you can send someone for you or you can work out a rotation or carpool with other CSA members.
We are limited to only 10 families (20 adults) for the year. If you are serious about participating in our full-diet CSA, please email or contact Laura immediately @ email@example.com or call 702-397-2021.